[AusNOG] RFC2317 support among Australian ISPs

Andreux Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Mar 16 14:11:49 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Jason Bailey <jason at naughtymonkeys.net> wrote:
> Classless reverse delegations are a pain. Though I know of at least one
> residential ISP that has done it in the past. I presume others do this
> as well, but its hardly something that would be advertised.
>
> jason

I've certainly set it up for customers at most or all of the providers
I've worked at over the years, and despite the minor interoperability
problems (usually Windows customers who have underscores versus dots
or slashes in their reverse delegation 'zone' name), never found it
that much of a hassle.  Automating that is simple enough.

I'm personally against web interfaces for customers updating this
stuff - i.e., letting them manage the records you serve for them
(rather than delegation), but mostly I like automation and usually
there's no XML-RPC or whatever API, so it makes one screen scrape and
I'd rather die in a fire.

If people don't want to be delegated to for their data, why not just
use dynamic DNS updating and manage your customers' PTR records
automatically; since this has been standardised for ~13 years
(RFC2136/7), and tools do actually exist?

-a

Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)