[AusNOG] RC Filter

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Mar 12 15:02:06 EST 2010

On 12/03/2010, at 12:50 PM, Matt Shadbolt wrote:

"The Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has said he plans to introduce legislation by the end of next week that would require ISPs to block a blacklist of "refused classification" websites for all Australians."

Senator Conroy can plan whatever he wants without it making any difference
to anything.

The ALP caucus hasn't agreed to any of this yet, so Conroy's statements are
a bit lame.  Sound and fury, signifying impotence.

Thus far despite all his plans the only concrete thing he's managed to do in this
area is to cut the coalition's budget allocation for the Federal Police's Online
Child Sexual Exploitation Taskforce by nearly $3m, and delay their planned
additional staff by 12 months.  So that's a measure of how seriously he actually
takes this subject.

I was wondering if any of you - the network operators - have actually implemented the proposed changes or are ready to flip the switch when the legislation passes?

When legislation is passed, I'm sure there'll be some attempt to evaluate and
plan for compliance at that stage.

The Government has said that if their legislation passes it'll have a 12 month
start delay so I doubt anyone is in any sort of hurry about it.

I'm a keen observer (and opposer) of the filters and I find it strange it will be come law when I haven't seen any real technical specifications published yet.

There are none.  The rules are being written by people who don't even know
how to spell TCP, let alone block it.  They're just making stuff up as they go
along.

You can tell they're making stuff up when you read their misstatements about
availability of RC content offline.  They either have no idea what the actual law
is, or they're being very, very selective in their description of it.  See more here:
http://libertus.net/censor/rdocs/ispblocking-rc-ncb-govclaims2010.html#bookstore

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au> (W)