[AusNOG] DC Flooded in Melbourne?

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Mar 8 18:02:12 EST 2010

On 08/03/2010, at 5:10 PM, Darren Moss wrote:

> The litigation firm is probably not off to a good start with an
> anonymous gmail address.

I see no evidence that there's a litigation firm involved at all.

If I was affected by the weekend's events (and I wasn't), I'd be
disinclined to provide an anonymous gmail mailbox with (a) the fact
that I was in that facility in the first place, and (b) the extent of
any damage or customer impact I'd suffered.  I might also be wondering
about whether there were any confidentiality clauses in my service
contract that'd prevent me from sending technical information about the
facility to the aforementioned gmail mailbox, and, while I was reading
my contract to find out, I'd probably check to see whether it had any
"force majeure" or "limitation of liability" provisions in it that'd
invalidate the lawsuit from first principles and make me look like a
complete ass for bringing it up.

I have no knowledge at all of what happened in datacom's facility,
or even any first-hand knowledge of whether it was datacom's facility
at all.  But seriously, it's pretty silly to escalate to lawsuit-defcon-1
less than 24 hours after the event.  At least give enough time for the
hard drives to dry out and for the account managers to explore SLA
rebates before reaching for the option you only get to use when the
response from the contract's counterparty is inadequate.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)