[AusNOG] conroy reaffirms commitment to filter

Phillip Grasso phillip.grasso at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 18:57:31 EST 2010

are you saying our industry is a toothless tiger???

What about using resources available to us?

Didn't Kevin07 help get elected with the 'online vote'?

how about a 'facts' campaign to users, with some real information, rather
then crud that is being spread by Conroy.

e.g.
Real costs of censorship.  Will this mean that customers will need to pay
for this government imposed censorship tax?
False sense of security, how anyone that is technically competent will be
able to bypass the filter (thereby wasting the tax-payers funds, and further
increasing the unit cost of providing internet access. 1. It won't stop the
bad guys 2. not really protecting the children.
Will interfere with internet speeds,
Could be expanded in future to limit free speech etc.
Could be another point of failure for internet connectivity

Possible methods;
-newsletters to customer base, (no spams or scams, that come through the
portal please)
-Links or facts included in bills
-Links off home pages
-ad-campaign? (perhaps through IIA or one of the industry bodies)
-facebook/myspace campaign,
-more Youtube clips like the recent kogan one,
-A free gigs day (give free gigs if the read the facts news letter or
something like that).

If anyone is keen on working with me to form a industry working group on
this, please send me a private message. (or point me to existing efforts).

Best Regards
    Phill.