[AusNOG] Network cabling BCP

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Jun 29 13:53:01 EST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Steve Skeevens
<steve.skeevens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We have VLANs for workstations, voice, servers, and storage.  I need to know
> what the BCP is for cabling colour codes so I can settle a dispute with my
> colleague.  I say blue for workstations, green for voice, yellow for servers
> and orange for storage, but he says yellow for workstations, black for
> voice, blue for servers and green for storage.
>
> Please hurry - I fear he may soon become violent.

Skeeve, you may like to both stop talking and read this:

http://bikeshed.com/

and if you don't like that, try:

http://bikeshed.org/

You realise this is the equivalent of "forks on the left, knives in
the middle, spoons on the right", don't you?

A physicist, one of the micro-architecture folks responsible for the
Pentium 4 incidentally, once described this to me as "the physical
property that the things which matter the least require the greatest
amount of energy to determine".

And what about the colour blind?  Whether you use blue and yellow or
green and blue, you're going to confuse some people.

As long as the person who wants so badly to decide:
 * decides writes it down and
 * puts some effort into maintaining the standard,
...you're done.

-a