[AusNOG] (bad) cyber security and ideas coming out of the woodwork?!

phil colbourn philcolbourn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 19:54:55 EST 2010

Sean,

What sort of *nix do you run and in what ways have they been compromised?

Re the AusCERT emails, are you referring to the vulnerability alerts or
actual compromises? If compromises, how do they find out about them?

Phil

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Sean K. Finn <sean.finn at ozservers.com.au>wrote:

> I have to butt in here, hosting one metric ** tonne of servers, it's the
> *nix ones that get compromised more often than our windows ones. (I know,
> because AusCert sends me emails every time one is compromised.).
>
> The Windows Vs Linux Debate is dead. Both are as bad as one another for
> compromises.
>
> Home users running Windows get targeted, and server farms running *nix get
> targeted just as easily.
>
> Before someone starts bashing the macs-are-safe bandwagon, BSD and Mac OsX
> Servers are just as likely to get attacked / rootkitted / compromised / dial
> home to a botnet.
>
> Having a software dependant package installed on ANY machine that is
> considered the target is just bad karma. It just doesn't work, and unless it
> stays ahead of the pack, the software will be specifically targeted and
> disabled as part of any smart malware attack.

Phil

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com
http://code.google.com/p/snmp2xml

"Someone has solved it and uploaded it for free."

"If I have nothing to hide, you have no reason to look."

Arthur C. Clarke - Who does magic today?