[AusNOG] (bad) cyber security and ideas coming out of thewoodwork?!

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Thu Jun 24 18:05:34 EST 2010

Tom,

>Fundamentally, it should not be the responsibility of the ISP to go concerning
>themselves with a customer's traffic.
>
>So what if user's computers are infected?  Individual's need to be responsible
>for that, and ISP's need to not care.
>
>The Internet has operated perfectly fine for decades without such controls in place.

By what definition of "perfectly fine" are you operating under?  Many of the
security problems on the Internet today are implemented using zombie botnets
which are a result of the lack of controls on end-user systems.

I'm not saying that I agree with the suggestion that it should be the ISPs
responsiblity to monitor end-users' systems.  But I do believe that
requiring that infected systems be disconnected is an idea which has merit.
For example, I'm an Internode customer.  If I found my systems were being
attacked by another Internode customer, I would hope I could call Internode
and ask them to disconnect the offending party.

Regards,

	Jeremy Begg