[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion date changed to December.

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 22 09:37:55 EST 2010

In message <715ee8b66e4c16492e480464591982c8.squirrel at webmail.paussa.net>, "James Paussa" writes:
> On 21/06/2010, at 16:29, Andrew Cox wrote:
> > I am, but in a different way to the majority of ISP's on here, which
> > means I'm still awaiting my upstreams to make their IPv6 services
> > production* before I can do so with mine.
>
> True, I have found only a handful that can offer this too. I think the
> easiest to set up was Pipe IX but this obviously doesn't offer us a whole
> world view.
>
> > Any adoption is good adoption at this point in time, tunnels or no
> > tunnels.
> > If vendors are going to take this long to upgrade their devices to
> > properly support IPv6 then a tunnelled client is still a great way to
> > get to the IPv6 internet.
>
> I disagree, with the added latency, overhead and resulting poor speed I
> personally think tunnels are only good for testing and a "hey I am on the
> v6 net!". I think a poor experience with tunnels would taint the view of
> IPv6 from an end user point of view.

Hogwash.  NAT vs encapsulation is about equal cost in the CPE device.
You only have to size/distribute the tunnel endpoints on the ISP's
side.  The extra 20 bytes per packet is nothing.

> Really I think native transit is the best way to bring it out to the
> consumer. Someone like an Internode (or another large ISPs) providing CPEs
> with native IPv6 enabled by default (on the wan and lan) (correct me if I
> am wrong and this is already happening) would be an excellent way to
> improve IPv6 adoption, probably without the end user even knowing it!

Native is better if only because there is likely to be less configuration.

> But I also think the article is a little misleading, what I took from it
> was the RIRs are being allocated /8s at a pretty good rate. From my
> understanding the RIRs have to allocate IP addresses in their region then
> they get used by ISPs etc. Now, IANA may run out of allocatable IP
> addresses, then the RIRs have to run out, then the ISPs have to run out of
> their stock.

And can you say that you are ready to turn IPv6 on now?

> In an end of the world type scenario I think we are looking for D Day to
> be in a couple of years time. We will start by charging for IPs to end
> customers at an inflated rate to reduce their use, then conserving them
> through SP NAT (look at 3G networks now) and finally adopting IPv6 when
> there is no other choice.

It isn't IPv4 or IPv6.  It's add IPv6 to the existing network.  You want
to charge for the single IPv4 address most home users get.  There is no
wastage.