[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion date changed to December.

James Paussa lists at puzza.org
Tue Jun 22 07:48:18 EST 2010

On 21/06/2010, at 16:29, Andrew Cox wrote:
> I am, but in a different way to the majority of ISP's on here, which
> means I'm still awaiting my upstreams to make their IPv6 services
> production* before I can do so with mine.

True, I have found only a handful that can offer this too. I think the
easiest to set up was Pipe IX but this obviously doesn't offer us a whole
world view.

> Any adoption is good adoption at this point in time, tunnels or no
> tunnels.
> If vendors are going to take this long to upgrade their devices to
> properly support IPv6 then a tunnelled client is still a great way to
> get to the IPv6 internet.

I disagree, with the added latency, overhead and resulting poor speed I
personally think tunnels are only good for testing and a "hey I am on the
v6 net!". I think a poor experience with tunnels would taint the view of
IPv6 from an end user point of view.
Really I think native transit is the best way to bring it out to the
consumer. Someone like an Internode (or another large ISPs) providing CPEs
with native IPv6 enabled by default (on the wan and lan) (correct me if I
am wrong and this is already happening) would be an excellent way to
improve IPv6 adoption, probably without the end user even knowing it!

But I also think the article is a little misleading, what I took from it
was the RIRs are being allocated /8s at a pretty good rate. From my
understanding the RIRs have to allocate IP addresses in their region then
they get used by ISPs etc. Now, IANA may run out of allocatable IP
addresses, then the RIRs have to run out, then the ISPs have to run out of
their stock.
In an end of the world type scenario I think we are looking for D Day to
be in a couple of years time. We will start by charging for IPs to end
customers at an inflated rate to reduce their use, then conserving them
through SP NAT (look at 3G networks now) and finally adopting IPv6 when
there is no other choice.

Regards,
James.