[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

Dmitri Kalintsev dek735 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:36:12 EST 2010

Any virtual machine images or outlook data files there? ;) I know there are
some backup solutions that do block-level diffs, but would be interested to
hear just how well do they work with 256Kbit/s uplink speed.

Also, what about restore in case of a disk failure, surely it will be
impractical?

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Bob Purdon <bobp at purdon.id.au> wrote:

> Like, for example, cloud backup services (for your home computers),
>> which are a total waste of time with the current uplink speeds (and
>> quotas).
>>

> Again, remembering that the current plans on offer are residential plans, I
> don't really see the problem.
>
> I *do* backup my home server to an off-site location, ever day, over
> 1500/256 DSL.  It runs in the early hours and honestly doesn't run for long.
>  It's a differential backup (rsync), and currently my upload data is not
> counted (although I've just changed plans and it will be in a few days).
>
> Maybe your average home user has more storage than me (about 2TB)?

-- D