[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 19:11:51 EST 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Sam Silvester wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM, John Lindsay <JLindsay at internode.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Our experience, particularly with a couple of hundred thousand ADSL subs is that asymmetric access results in fairly balanced in/out traffic at the head end presumably because quite a lot of the back channel is P2P and it will use whatever it can find.
> >

> I wonder however if that's more a result of the fact that most
> Internode plans are "unmetered uploads" - wouldn't that somewhat bias
> traffic, as if somebody downloads a lot they get shaped, whereas if
> they upload a lot, no dramas. By means of comparison, we meter
> uploads, and we see a much less balanced traffic profile at our BRAS.
> As such, I don't think your experience is universal.
[snip]
> Whilst I still don't upload lots of data all the time, when I do, it
> doesn't take much more than one or two largish video uploads or a
> couple of photo album uploads to have me cursing the limits of my
> ADSL2+ upload speed.

Do you think people would accept symmetric upload/download quotas in
exchange for symmetric upload/download speeds? What would you do when they
use up their upload quota, drop them back down to "traditional" asymmetric
upload speeds?

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |