[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

John Lindsay JLindsay at internode.com.au
Thu Jun 17 21:24:33 EST 2010

You know I don't actually follow your argument.

Internode's customers generally want the fastest possible downstream they can get and want to be able to download as fast as possible.  Some experimenting has shown that the limiting factors are backchannel bandwidth which needs to be in the ratio of 100/7 or better (as I recall) and CPE which needs to not be < $100 junk.  The Apple Airport Extreme / Timecapsule and Cisco boxes have proven to be excellent for FTTH whereas everything else, pretty much, has proven to crap out above 10 ~ 20 Mbps.

Our experience, and we have hundreds of FTTH customers on other networks, is that the vast majority of customers buy 25Mbps access because it's cheap.  If they do buy a faster connection and don't buy a good router they complain about not achieving line speed.

Our experience, particularly with a couple of hundred thousand ADSL subs is that asymmetric access results in fairly balanced in/out traffic at the head end presumably because quite a lot of the back channel is P2P and it will use whatever it can find.

Generally in Internode's network we send other networks more traffic than they send us because we are a large content source.  We don't need any more outbound traffic although we do have a little more headroom on the international links.

What's your experience Mark?

jsl
--
John Lindsay - GM Regulatory and Corporate Affairs - Internode and Agile
Street: 150 Grenfell St, Adelaide