[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

Phil Pierotti phil.pierotti at platformnetworks.net
Thu Jun 17 12:19:45 EST 2010

So yes there's the downside of pretty much *any* service repairs being non-trivial, but there's also the upside of no longer getting "trivial service repairs" like we do in the current copper network.

I'm talking about eradicating practices like twisting a couple of wires together, putting a ziploc bag over it, and assuming "she'll be right, mate" in your currently flooding comms pit.

Personally I'm looking forwards to things actually getting *fixed* rather than just bodged together to the point where it's not actually 100% broken 100% of the time and then walking away as if the issue has actually been resolved.

Phil P