[AusNOG] Govt wants ISPs to record user history

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Fri Jun 11 15:18:12 EST 2010

Richard,

Forget the EC Directive.

Be very, very concerned by the amount/type of information and the length
of time of retention that is being discussed here in Australia.  Be
very, very concerned.  Participation is by a closed group and the
contents are generally confidential.  Confidentiality is required as the
public would be aghast in horror with what is being suggested.  Certain
agencies are particularly excited about a phrase called "intelligence
led policing".  Meaning that it would be helpful for certain agencies to
use this information to create known associates and personal profiles
using any information stored/retained by ISP's/CSP's in case it's
necessary for a *future* crime and/or investigation.

A further gross erosion of our privacy rights all in the name of
protecting us from "terrorism and paedophiles".  Where have I heard that
before?  Oh yeah.  That's right.  Nearly forgot.

If you are a member of the IIA, I would strongly encourage you to
contact them for further information.

Just so we are clear:

- Propose to implement Government filtering system which checks every
URL entered by every Australian
- Propose to implement Government Data Retention system for all ISP's to
maintain substantial information about user internet and communication
history (including browsing history and emails for MANY years)
- Propose to implement single NBN
- Remove Government funding for AusCERT and establish Government run
CERT

Can't wait for the "Ministry of Truth"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Truth) to be formed.  Or
perhaps it will be called the "Minstry of anti-bunkum and balderdash"
(http://tinyurl.com/38xj64s).

[b]

PS:  Media do not call or email and do not quote in accordance with the
list Charter.