[AusNOG] Wifi Security and Interception

James Paussa lists at puzza.org
Wed Jun 9 12:28:08 EST 2010

> I think the real issue here is that people on this list think it's "fair
> game" to intercept and record a communication (ie. payload) if the last
> part of the path happens to be over an unencrypted Wifi network.  There
> are reasons why the TIA is why it is.  And that is it's BAD (and
> possibly illegal) to INTERCEPT (and record) a COMMUNICATION (not talking
> about ethernet/Wifi/L2 but a communication under the TIA) regardless of
> bearer if you are NOT the INTENDED RECIPIENT. Period.

So you would consider having my UHF CB radio on scan while I am driving
not only immoral but possibly also illegal? WiFi and communication over RF
isn't new, I think the audience using it probably is.
In the end I think the problem is more education, along with the usual you
put something on the Internet it stays there (like this email and this
mailing list) the same should be taken with wireless, whatever you are
looking at over your wireless connection someone down the road can see
that. Make people aware it is a broadcast medium and they can adjust their
behaviour to suit.

Regards,
James.