[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Jun 9 01:33:30 EST 2010

On 09/06/2010, at 12:30 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:

> It's shows both how amazing the growth of technology is and how poorly
> our legal system is keeping up with the times (not to mention our
> politicians) that it took so long for this matter to even be
> acknowledged (if you watch the SMH video of conroy earlier on sweeping
> responsibilities onto the privacy commissioner -
> http://tinyurl.com/27rm8nf) as a possible telecommunications relevent
> issue.

Agreed.

The issue for me is that I'd rather keep the inadequate, insufficient,
stupid, inconsistent laws we have than allow the current crowd to write
new ones.

This Government is just brain-bendingly clueless when it comes to tech
issues.  I've never seen anything like it.  A magic 8-ball or a series of
coin tosses could do a better job, this crop of absolute clowns is actually
worse than random.

At least the other mob mostly ignored technology.  The current government
gets actively involved and messes-up everything they touch.

It's so bad that right now I actually want them to leave Telstra alone.
Never thought I'd ever say that, but geez, think of the damage they'll
do to the entire industry when they turn that one into a pile of
steaming regulatory wreckage, eh?

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)