[AusNOG] Telstra YouTube Servers

Phillip Britt phil at wideband.net.au
Tue Jun 1 13:27:06 EST 2010

Hi There,

Just a short question to those who may use Telstra Wholesale Internet
and Pipe Peering.  We have recently added Telstra as another transit
(in addition to Verizon) and have noticed a large drop in peering
traffic coming in through Sydney, we have done some tracking and it
would now appear that YouTube is now giving preference  servers based at
Telstra, rather than those via Pipe Sydney.  This should not be confused
with the normal BGP path selection process.

We suspect that Telstra has advised our ranges to YouTube in a similar
manner to how Akamai works, and this is why they are redirecting
locally.

Obviously we would prefer this traffic via Peering rather than transit.
Has anyone seen this before or had experience with dealing with Telstra
to have preference for those locally based servers removed?

Cheers,

Phil Britt

Aussie Broadband