[AusNOG] Labor to force people to connect to broadband

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Fri Jul 30 23:15:30 EST 2010

I operate Australia's third largest metro fibre network, yet I can't put
fibre in basements of buildings or to tenants floor without either:

1.  An in-building subscriber; or
2. Express approval from the building owner

The point is I need a customer (and a fight with building owners who try
to extort money from us) or approval, rather than no objection and no
customer necessary.  The economies of a single truck roll for additional
tennants in high rise buildings that we can connect to would be nice.
But sadly we are not owned by those that make the legislation.

Surely, any legislation to make an installation Opt-out should be
extended to all carriers ensuring non-descriminatory practices remain.
Otherwise I would have thought the ACCC should at least be consulted as
to why NBN Co requires to obtain a competitive advantage over other
carriers.  Special Access Undertaking anyone?  Why isn't it opt-out for
all carriers?  And if the Government realised there are problems with
the access regime under Schedule 3, then why haven't they changed it for
all of us earlier?

[b]

NBNCo