[AusNOG] Labor to force people to connect to broadband

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Jul 30 16:30:13 EST 2010

On 30/07/2010 3:28 PM, Sean K. Finn wrote:
> I'd just like to know who's responsibility it is to provide battery backup for PSTN services now?

Now, the answer is "nobody". In the future, it will be "You"

(who is _responsible_ for it is somewhat different from who _actually_
does it at the moment)

There is not, nor has there ever been, a requirement for any PSTN
service to have backup power. Its not part of the service description,
and is not part of any service specification, standard or legislated
requirement.  People have gotten used to it being there, as a byproduct
of history (when the current analog telephone was invented, electricity
distribution didn't exist, they needed some way to make the bell ring in
houses powered by gas lights) but it isn't currently (boom tish) a
requirement.

Some certainly argue that 'lifeline power' _should_ be a requirement -
but it isn't at the moment.

> UPS's in the home? How will most ppl ring the power utility if their power goes out unexpectedly? (Yeah I know, mobile phones and provide your own UPS's).

Yup - batteries and UPSs in the home, IF you wish to have mains-power
failure backup on your fixed comunication services. Many don't.

> Still..
>
> Loss of functionality here.

Think of all the savings in fossil fuels not having to have big tanks of
fuel available to power generators to keep everyone's handsets operating
any more.

Paul.