[AusNOG] Labor to force people to connect to broadband

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Jul 30 14:37:34 EST 2010

On 30/07/2010 1:57 PM, Kai wrote:
> Labor to force people to connect to broadband
> smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/labor-to-force-people-to-connect-to-broadband-20100730-10yi4.html
>
> So, if I have this correct, Conroy says:
>
> "The cynics, the doomsayers, claimed we were only going to get 10 per cent or 15 per cent [on the network]," he told ABC Radio.
>
> "We've already got 50 per cent signed up."
>
> That's 50% from three towns in Tasmania, that's like saying "since 50% of Leonora, Wiluna and Laverton in WA have signed up that this is gunna be awesome". Considering the infrastructure, or lack thereof, in those towns, why wouldn't they say "yes"?!
>
> If it was actual figures after the whole country was rolled out and he has 50%, that might be something to get excited about but even then, it's opt-out AND it's only 50%, not really a good update percentage considering how awesome it's supposed to be and what it will cost.
>
> Tasmania's getting connected, that's great, but, who's providing backhaul and was that put to tender? or how was that decided? someone wanna put me through to Conroy's office so I can talk to him constructively? or at least try to? thanks.

This opt-in / opt-out thing stems from an idea by Premier Bartlett in
Tasmania back at the beginning of July, when the statistics were that
only about 30% of people had signed up for an NBN connection, and
thereby threatening his goal to become "the most connected place on earth"

'opt-out' is a great model for inflating government demand statistics,
but not so good for private property rights - personally I want to be
asked for permission before a technician comes on to my property and
drills holes in my wall.

The current model of 'opt-in with a stick' is still the better option.

('opt-in with a stick' - "while our people are in the area, if you give
us permission now we'll run the cable to your house for free. If you
don't, and later on you want to be connected, we'll happily do that but
it will likely cost you $$$$$$")

Paul.