[AusNOG] Labor to force people to connect to broadband

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 14:09:22 EST 2010

My understanding was that this is just to get the fibre from the road to the ONT on the side of your house.

Connection to an NBN provider from that point on is still totally optional and they won't be forcibly migrating anyone ? If they DO migrate your PSTN line from being copper to fibre (ie. the point from outside your house back to the exchange) then the ONT will handle all of this and your normal copper pair wiring within the house will continue to work as will any existing DSL (at least that's what I think I've read).

Doing it this way just means that you can get the installers to run cables and put a box on the outside wall of each house as they go so that IF the resident decides they want to connect to the NBN then all of the stuff is already there. If this wasn't done then every time someone wanted a new connection it would require a fibre tech to go out and run & terminate the lead in cable and install the ONT. If it went this way nobody would connect because the install fee would probably be a few thousand dollars.

You're still able to opt-out if you don't want anything changed at all.

The 50%, yeah that's rubbish, but we're in the middle of an election campaign, what do you expect ?

regards,
Tony.