[AusNOG] APNIC WHOIS

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Tue Jul 20 19:23:56 EST 2010

Hi Elly,

Thanks for the useful info.

Elly Tawhai said:
> "Except for Internet operational purposes approved by APNIC, no part of
> the APNIC whois data may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
> transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
> recording, or otherwise, without prior permission of APNIC on behalf of
> the copyright holders. Any use of this material to target advertising or
> similar activities is explicitly forbidden and will be prosecuted. APNIC
> requests to be notified of any such activities or suspicions thereof.

Just a small comment about the above. I’m not a lawyer, but I’m thinking
back to IceTV Pty Limited v Nine Network Australia Pty Limited.

Nine Network borked because IceTV were scraping and reproducing their TV
guide, and attempted to stop them on copyright grounds. IceTV argued
that you can’t copyright facts (of which a TV guide is almost nothing
but, apart from maybe the 5-line synopses), and subsequently won the case.

I doubt the WHOIS data is much different from the TV guide, in that it
isn’t substantial enough to claim copyright on.

Just my 2 cents. I’m not a lawyer.

Jeremy.