[AusNOG] APNIC WHOIS

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Tue Jul 20 16:20:43 EST 2010

I'm sure someone from APNIC will jump in here in a minute :)

If the record is under your administrative control and you are interested in protecting your own interests (do you really want the world knowing who your clients are?) and the privacy of your customers, I'd be switching all the records over to private anyway, with just the SP umbrella hanging over the top. If it's that much of an issue for the other guy to kick up a stink, maybe he/she should go and make their records private so you can't see them? :)

That said,  I think you will find regardless

[Querying whois.apnic.net]

[whois.apnic.net]

% [whois.apnic.net node-2]

% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

^^^^^^^^

Note the link to copyright terms

http://www.apnic.net/apnic-info/whois_search2/about-whois/protecting-whois/copyright
APNIC Whois Database Acceptable Use Agreement

The APNIC Whois Database acceptable use agreement explicitly states the parameters that copyright extends to:
Except for Internet operational purposes approved by APNIC, no part of the APNIC whois data may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise, without prior permission of APNIC on behalf of the copyright holders. Any use of this material to target advertising or similar activities is explicitly forbidden and will be prosecuted. APNIC requests to be notified of any such activities or suspicions thereof.

If you apply for the bulk tools, which requires signing forms etc, the exact same wording is used.

... If I am recalling correctly(?), harvesting and re-using "copyright" subscriber information from a DB, was the very angle a certain Telco took against the greypages.ws website and the way they it represented subscriber information sourced from various DB's. Not unlike whois ??

Kind regards,