[AusNOG] Why No Form Of Censorship Is A Good Thing

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Tue Jul 20 13:16:17 EST 2010

On 20/07/2010, at 12:40 PM, Kai wrote:

> Also doesn't matter that RC isn't in the article, I'm sure he'll probably use the same old socially emotive term "protect the children" to wangle things into the filter, bit by bit. The writing's on the wall. What did ISP's, collectively, decide that could be done to educate people without using mainstream media?

Interestingly, the "protect the children" rhetoric shouldn't work anymore.

By sticking to RC, the Government's plan permits all R18+ and X18+ content
without limitation -- which is exactly the kind of content that most parents
have in mind when they consider what it takes to "protect" their children.

An RC censorship system only targets material which the Government has
decided is "unsuitable for adults."

So forget about children;  The current plan is "cyber safety" aimed at you
and me.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)