[AusNOG] Tech Q: Looking for Cheapest 10G Switches for Hobby Lan.

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Fri Jul 16 15:35:34 EST 2010

On 16/07/2010, at 2:52 PM, Sean K. Finn wrote:
>> reality is i suspect you don't actually need 10GbE to the host.  rather you're after 10GbE ?> for uplinks from 10/100/1000 access switches with 2-4x10GbE uplinks.
>
> You'd think not, but check out this crazy Lanner.
>
> Look closely at first picture.
> I think that's 20TB, but might be 32TB
> These guys have a habbit of running 20TB or 40TB Raid 0, and to achieve redundancy they come together at Lan's to SYNCH servers for redundancy.
>
> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=88305
>
> Kids these days..

the throughput numbers achieved for those 2 x 10GbE connected servers really doesn't do 10GbE justice.
if there was that many spindles there it should have been capable of getting 90%+ wire rate 10GbE (900+MB/s) rather than the ~380MB/s it looks like.

there's multiple 10/100/1000 switches there, some with uplinks.  if the event was/is in Melbourne, i'd happily have loaned some of my lab kit.

cheers,

lincoln.