[AusNOG] SAN - NetApp vs EMC vs EqualLogic (kinda off topic)

Matt Moor m at imprecise.org
Thu Jul 15 09:33:25 EST 2010

I'd take a squiz at HDS as well. They don't have the mindshare of NetApp
or EMC, but their hardware is the best performing and most reliable I've
ever played with. Roughly speaking, this has been my experience:

NetApp: Great software, slightly braindead for block storage (LUNs are
just sparse files on it's filesystem you "map" to block exports),
hardware has to be spec'd right to get the performance you expect (but
the sales teams are good with this), and the back-end block size
limitation (WAFL, the internal FS, is fixed at 4KB) can be crippling for
some applications.

EMC: Haven't played a heap with these guys, but they seem to be good at
meeting the general case - reasonable software on reasonable hardware,
not great at either.

Dell: (They bought EqualLogic) - haven't played with the EL branded
stuff, but my experience with the MD3xxx series kit is your typical dell
one, cheap, nasty, but plentiful.

HDS: Software can take a bit of understanding - Japanese to English
translations aren't always the best - but the hardware is rock-solid and
very high performance.

For my use case (extreme reliability and performance), we went with a
HDS USPVM, and haven't looked back. The support organisation has been
really, really good too.

Cheers,

Matt