[AusNOG] Internet Filter Delayed Until 2011

David Keegel djk at keegel.id.au
Fri Jul 9 18:21:16 EST 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 03:14:25PM +0930, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> I'm concerned that this is the thin edge of the wedge approach:
>
> Filtering of just "CP" becomes done by some "large" isps.
> "Why aren't YOU filtering Mr ISP, are you FOR CP?"
> "See that wasn't so bad, now the rest of you do it"
> "See now you've got it, we'll change the rules and you need to block all the content we want you to block from our lobbiest friends" <evil conroy laugh>

As long as ISPs have a choice, some ISPs could suspend participation in the
filtering scheme if their customers notify them of sites which are blocked
but are not CP.  Or if ISP staff notice something like that.  Or if it
causes serious operational issues (for example Wikipedia & IWF).  Or just
because the government changes rules in way the ISP considers unacceptable.

To me, the power for ISPs to opt out temporarily or permanently is an
important consumer safeguard, like a safety valve.