[AusNOG] What are we , collectively, doing about the impending mandatatory censorship scheme?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 20:14:47 EST 2010

Folks
the Internet Industry Association is publicly and strongly anti the
proposed filtering regimen. ISOC-AU is opposed to it. SAGE-AU is
opposed to it. All are members of the Safer Internet Group:

www.saferinternetgroup.org

and I am chasing details of the program to campaign against it. Check
out the list of members, it includes iinet, internode, google, yahoo
as well as librarians and kids support groups.

A number of the members have been working hard to maintain a firm but
polite (ie diplomatic) approach to this issue. Frankly,y I am really
surprised the government didn't take the opportunity to shelve this
along with other policies. An opportunity lost, perhaps?

Can I suggest that you all do your sums and realistically compile what
it would take to comply with this proposal. I realise that in the
absence of a clear specification, you can't really do it particularly
accurately.

I would be happy to compile that sort of data, validate it, and
publish it independently. We could form a working group to that effect
in order to fully road test the data. I can conduct the effort in a
suitable commercial in confidence environment if people prefer, too.

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com