[AusNOG] Press: ITNews Story - NetAlert could have performed the internet filter function

Peter Adkins peter.adkins at kernelpicnic.net
Thu Jul 8 17:52:57 EST 2010

Unfortunately, it's getting to the point where a rebuttal from a technical
standpoint is simply being dismissed, and any attempts to express how the
policy is a waste of money is being met with:

"BUT YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON THE SAFETY OF OUR CHILDREN!"

I don't think that this situation is one which can be won through reasoning
with Sen. Conroy directly, or even by-proxy. Unfortunately, it seems that If
the filter isn't implemented it will be picked up by those who either no not
know, or do not care, about the reasons that it was scrapped and be cast as
another "failure" of a Labor government.

Can this not be chalked up as Senator Conroy blatantly lying to the general
public by enforcing the need for a flawed filter?

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au> wrote:

> On 08/07/2010, at 4:45 PM, Roland Chan wrote:
>
> > Again, the requirement in the DBCDE website is to prevent inadvertant
> access.
>
> That means the policy being advanced by DBCDE right now is a
> failure to deliver what Conroy has portrayed as an ALP election
> promise in 2007.
>
> The current proposal fails outright to deliver on that new 2010
> requirement as well.  Google has identified over a trillion URLs
> on the 'net, millions of those would meet the RC definition.  At
> last update, Conroy's proposal will "prevent" so-called "accidental"
> access to 355 of them, for the princely sum of $44.5m.
>
>  - mark
>
> --
> Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au(W)
> Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org (H)
> Internode Pty Ltd                         Desk:   +61-8-82282999
> "Network Man" - Anagram of "Mark Newton"  Mobile: +61-416-202-223

Peter Adkins

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche