[AusNOG] Press: ITNews Story - NetAlert could have performedthe internet filter function

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Jul 8 17:25:20 EST 2010

Conroy seems to think it's relevant - when asked to comment on Kate Lundy's idea that the filter could be opted out of, he replied that he was "not into opting in to child porn".[1]

Opting out is functionally identical to circumvention as far as the end-user's content access goes, and he seems to have a problem with it.  This highlights one of the real problems of the proposal itself in that it's primary function keeps being presented differently, making it extremely difficult to argue against when you can't nail down your target.

[1] - http://delimiter.com.au/2010/07/06/gillard-ducks-filter-questions/

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100% Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813
Fax     :  +61 7 3233 9885