[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:55:00 EST 2010

Hi Phil,

Sounds very interesting. I would be very interested in your source
code (but then I'm academia not industry ;) )

Your aims sound very similar to mine. I am working on the problem of
capturing the architecture in a vendor neutral solution. Device
configs can easily be generated as the final step of deployment.
You have some very good features in your key points list, especially
the config  verification and documentation steps.

The business rule verification is particularly interesting. I would be
interested in how you are doing this.
The work described in
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~eugeneng/inm08/presentations/Vanbever.pdf may
also be useful to your project.

Once again, I would be interested. My work to date has been on
configuring emulated networks (running Quagga inside Linux virtual
machines), but am now working towards hardware networks.
I am approaching a similar tool to what you have written, but from the
other direction :) I am quite keen to discuss with industry
requirements and practices of network config.
My work to date:
www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/personal/sknight/AutoNetkit

Cheers!
Simon