[AusNOG] Junior techs

Jacques Kosky jmkosky at vicnet.net.au
Mon Jul 5 14:51:06 EST 2010

Andrew Oskam wrote:
> Best story yet :P
>

> Andrew Oskam
>
> E  percy at th3interw3bs.net
>

> NOTICE:
>
> These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not
> necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their
> affiliates. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my
> own personal experiences. You should conduct independent tests to
> verify the validity of any statements made in this email before basing
> any decisions upon those statements.
>

> On 5/07/10 2:16 PM, Andrew Cox wrote:
>> My 2c:
>>
>> First day on the Job, network engineer was busy and asked me to go
>> vacuum out around the test bench area.
>> Got out vacuum cleaner, plugged into one of the red power points on the
>> desk, powered up vacuum cleaner...
>>
>> .. looked on in horror as the power to the 2 racks behind me went off
>> and everything went silent.

>> system and plugging a 3000W vacuum cleaner into them doesn't work so well.
>>
>> - Andrew
>>
>> P.S. Karl .. I still have a server rack in my bedroom. :-P

I remember a similar situation where another network person and I were
doing some cabling and the other technie nudged the rack that had 7 or 8
cisco dialup routers (5300s mainly) . IIRC I made some dumb comment
along the lines of "Oh look! All of the lights in the rack have gone
out". There was a second of silence where we looked at each other, did a
whatdaf*ck doubletake and then started  ripping up the false floor to
get to the power point. Not our best moment.

--
Jacques Kosky