[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Tom Wright TWright at internode.com.au
Mon Jul 5 11:38:40 EST 2010

Hi Phil,

We have a custom-built SQL database of our devices (including
some meta-data about them) that allows us to drive (with some glue)
whatever third party packages we wish to use - commercial or not.

Having that sort of fluidity is nice, because if you get sick of tool 'X'
you can supplement or replace it in a fairly isolated fashion.

I'm not necessarily against having multiple systems to collect data from
the network: e.g, you wouldn't want your monitoring system to go down
when you took your RRD's offline for maintenance, etc.

Backing up configs is a simple, and yet potentially frustrating exercise
when you're running a heterogeneous environment - there are usually
many ways to do it but a key outcome should be to have a mechanism to
diff them over time.

Don't forget that if you're a Cisco shop you should also backup your VLAN
databases (if anyone's interested in a convenient way of doing this via
SNMP, contact me off-list).

We feed our syslog and command accounting records back into an SQL
database. Having authentication, accounting and syslog records in a
'correlate-able' format is truly sexy, and makes troubleshooting much
easier when you can point at a device (or group of devices) and ask "what
just happened?".

We use MRTG/RRDTool for a large chunk of our performance
management, and it runs flawlessly for many 1000's of targets.

-- Tom