[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Mon Jul 5 10:23:44 EST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, David Hughes <David at hughes.com.au> wrote:

> Yup, as can Zenoss.  Problem is would you consider either of these a real replacement for Nagios?   I had a good long hard look at Zenoss and decided that, no, it's not suitable for me.  I tried to install a simple "icmp latency" reporting zenpack and it worked for one target and broke as soon as I used it to monitor multiple wan circuits.  Great.  Then there were semi-random Zope issues etc.  Great.  I know nothing about Zope or python so I was struggling.
>
> About to start an evaluation of OpenNMS in the same light.  I hope it goes better.  I'm still running nagios and cacti.

I can only recommend something custom for now, based on: collectd +
one of the various frontends that are available.  It's so far from a
complete system you will be writing the threshold monitoring part (or
hacking something together), but it still feels more like a UNIX
pipeline to me than Cacti, etc, etc, so I don't feel like my effort
will be wasted.  Plus, it's not Python!  (Though you can now embed the
Python interpreter in it and use it for writing plugins, which I am
now doing to gather data from routers, turn that into raw numbers via
a parser, and then graph those numbers along with your other data.

http://collectd.org/

-a