[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Mon Jul 5 08:38:46 EST 2010

For us our network is very much secondary to our systems, but...

On 04/07/10 22:00, phil colbourn wrote:
> What do you use for
>
>     * Alarm/event management (SNMP traps, syslog)
Nagios, although we poll and don't use traps.

>     * Performance management (SNMP Polls)
Cacti, have been trying ObserverNMS

>     * Backup config files
Rancid.

>     * AAA (local, RADIUS)
Local account per host, we have an encrypted password archive. Systems
get SSH keys distributed.

>     * Configuration management
A bunch of scripts written around rancid to verify essential bits and
draw the network diagrams.

> What fault finding tools (ping, traceroute) do you use?
We often have issues that relate to the stacking of *many* firewalls
(one of our sites has three firewalls between it and the world, all
customer run) which tcptraceroute can be useful for.

> Do you rely on commercial products?
> Do you rely on Open Source products?
We're very much a FOSS shop despite what our management may think (the
fact that even when we do want to go commercial we never get the money
may have something to do with that).

Julien