[AusNOG] Anyone else experiencing high latency, low speeds through internode?

James Paussa lists at puzza.org
Sun Jul 4 19:25:58 EST 2010

On 4/07/2010 5:48 PM, Karl Kloppenborg wrote:
> BTW, for all those who are going "EU support is not allowed on AusNOG"
> I am not ASKING for support, I am not trying HELP.. I am expressing
> (what I think) is a weird issue.

I am guessing your network experience has never dealt with end customer
access services, 99 times out of 100 first-hop latency is caused by
congestion, of that 99, 98 of those cases are people saturating their
connection the other 1 will be backhaul or some fun ADSL issue. Easiest
way to check is just run a quick graph of your WAN interface.
As for support monkeys, I think if you want good support especially as
someone who conciders themselve a networker (I assume you do subscribing
to this list) you would provide them the best information possible. The
nexthop latency  is a good start so you can say it doesn't leave the
Internode network and you have isolated it to something between your
ADSL and Internode.

I would say most of the people who are saying "EU support is not allowed
on AusNOG" have come from an ISP environment where this isn't a
weird/interesting issue and comes across as a "Why is my connection
slow?" question unintentionally.

Regards,
James.