[AusNOG] conroy reaffirms commitment to filter

Andrew Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Thu Jul 1 14:31:34 EST 2010

> Whilst I dislike that these sort of tactics are those most effective, we
> have to remember that the filter is not a technical issue, but a
> political issue, and must be treated like one.

I disagree, I believe it to be both technical and political

> Simple, emotional arguments work best.
I agree, I think that, we should be bringing the issues where this
filter will interfere or more-so where it's not doing enough.

Instead of focusing on hiding (yes, hiding) the refused content - The
focus should be on chat rooms and social networks where children are at
danger. The online communities themselves are harmless, but the
dangerous people within these communities are the ones we should be
finding and locking away. Australian Families want tools to protect
their children - What does "hiding" RC Content do to help? Nothing.
Which of our needs, Australian Families needs, does the filter fulfill?
None of them.

In my view, the govt is doing what they do best and twisting the truth
to their own gain to place them on pedestal as if they are some godsend
to Australian Families.

Isn't that their target audience? Australian mothers, fathers, and children?

Andrew Oskam

E  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:

These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily
reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates.
All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal
experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity
of any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon
those statements.