[AusNOG] Outage that costs Millions

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Thu Jul 1 10:20:21 EST 2010

So, not to let this thread quietly die with no real outcome.

I've seen news articles citing 20,000 DSL tails offline I know for a fact that more than 20k DSL tails were affected. The same article also cited "hardware failure" but with diverse fibre this and diverse switch that, and supposed N+1 across the wazoo, I fail to see how that is possible. What I believe I saw was a complete collapse of a large(or total) portion of the MAN. If you consider the experience of Tatt's and others, this _seems_ be consistent in the post-event analysis.

Did *anyone* get a explanation of substance from Telstra directly, other than, Cause:"spanning tree issues" Action:"POP switches tech bridge reset" ?

As others have pointed out a "spanning tree issue" doesn't tear down your network for 90 minutes, it *prevents* it from being torn down for 90 minutes, it could be thought of as a "last resort safety" so to assert a spanning tree issue caused this problem, in my mind, is to assert a lack of spanning tree, meaning the required last resort safety mechanisms were either not in place, or not configured properly. (if they were, how could it be a spanning tree issue??)

Still trying to get my head around exactly what happened..

Anyone?

--matt