[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Kim Davies kim at cynosure.com.au
Tue Jan 26 09:18:34 EST 2010

Quoting Noel Butler on Monday January 25, 2010:

| Everything is a cost to an ISP, this is broadband everyone gets  a "24/7
| on" service, there is no excuse to be charging people extra for a static
| IP,s  leta lone ipv4,but i know fully well some marketing depts out
| there are going " Oh goody goody I see  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$"
|
| That sadly is human nature

... or capitalism. :)

Look, there are two scenarios for the long term: we are either using
IPv6 in a significant way, or we are not. If you come to the conclusion
it will be the former, I'd rather be rolling this stuff out now (and
dealing with the invariable problems) before customers are relying
on it to work, rather than trying get it running when the production
environment demands it. That seems to me to be good business sense.

kim