[AusNOG] FW: Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Steve Lisson SteveL at dedicatedservers.net.au
Mon Jan 25 22:55:58 EST 2010

Hi,

As to the cost going up, I can see it as a basic supply/demand issue, if there is less supply available and the demand stays the same or increases is it not expected that the price goes up?

Sure there will be some 'profiteering' by those ISP's with address space, but this will in turn help new players in the market after the last /8's are allocated to RIR's who then get their first and only /22 allocation with no opportunity to get more (am ignoring black market IP's for this example, that's a whole other subject).

>From what I have seen (e.g. customers generally not being interested in IPv6 and coming to the conclusion all I can do there is just have it ready for when they ask and even then 50% of the time do not end up enabling it) and all the 'discussions' (use that term loosely as quite a bit of the discussion I have seen is one side believe their way is the right way and not listening to or conceding points to other parties) I really do not want to make many predictions on what is or isn't going to happen (the end of the world is nigh!) and am just going to sit back, be at least somewhat prepared while waiting and watching what happens. Have found that expending energy on attempting to get customers to enable and utilise IPv6 has unfortunately been a waste of time, find it might get enabled and even if it does they then don't maintain it and end up with something worse than an end host without IPv6, an end host with broken IPv6.

I also think that there is a lot of people saying that either ISP's are not doing enough to get ready and ISP's are saying that the content providers are not there for them to enable it, while it is occasionally touched briefly I think a lot of it is also that the applications developers are not their either, probably around a ½ year ago I ask one of our game server customers if I provided them with IPv6 could their run any of the standard games they have on IPv6, their response was that they don't know of any games that they run that have IPv6 capabilities.

Just my 2c on the issue, I have IPv6 on our network and available to customers on request so its there and (somewhat) ready, IPv6 has been a 'hobby' of mine for years, started back when could get a bgp peering session with Occaid, was a very useful learning tool and played a big part of having the career I now do.

Regards,

Steve