[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Jan 23 12:11:51 EST 2010

Matt,

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 09:59 +1030, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> It's nice to keep arguing about WHEN the SS IPv4 Titanic is going sink
> and whether you have time for another drink before getting into the
> life boats, but the reality is it's still sinking.

Oh, I'll always make time for a drink, don't worry about that  :)

> Rather than being silly and using phrases like "talking about ripping
> off end users more money because they use ipv4" how about we return to
> some level of constructive conversation about ensuring we have the
> right IPv6 lifeboats are going to built?

Well, sorry if that offended anyone here, but it IS ludicrous to even
suggest such an action against end users simply because they have NFI
what ipv4 or 6 is, and any proposed extortion, is exactly that, and any
company who introduces such will be the loser, not the end user, (wow
never though I'd be sticking up for users :P)

> The quicker we get the IPv6 lifeboats built, the quicker IPv4 will
> become a dinosaur and not relevant and not something that'll impact
> users so much and then they won't care about IPv4 and it's legacy.
>  It'll mean that the time where IPv4 space becomes costly is shorter.

Exactly, so rather than try penalise users, penalise the CPE vendors,
I'm all for that one.

> IPv6 support from more vendors needs more people demanding it.  I know
> that our efforts have made some change from a few of our vendors so
> it'll be easier and quicker for the rest of you when the water is
> lapping at your toes.   But it'd be nice if we didn't have to haul
> people from the sea as they drown.

That's excellent, but one man moving a mountain will take a decade, many
men will move it sooner, you need the likes of TPG, iinet, primus AAPT,
optus onside too, I did not mention hel$tra, because , well, you know
where I'd be going with that one.

I'll put aside a nice bottle of JD black for it, but I still reckon I
wont be touching it till at least 2015.

Cheers