[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Daniel Hooper dhooper at gold.net.au
Fri Jan 22 16:26:25 EST 2010

I don't see many larger providers in .AU supporting ipv6 yet, congrats to internode and those that have deployed ipv6  for having the balls to get on with it and get something moving but until we see the iinet's, telstra's, aapt's etc fully jump on board,  ipv6 is still pretty much dead in the water IMHO.

It does look to be a good task for our favourite minister for broadboand & communications mr conroy, whether it be in the form of consumer education or legislation that gets it moving I feel the government needs to be sending the message out that it's time to move on.

Possible consumer education:

*          A flurry of television commercials with a simple 30 second explanation that the internet is running out of numbers, look for the ipv6 enabled sticker on your next purchase.

Possible legislation:

*          All CPE devices imported/built for .AU must be IPV6 capable after date XY/ZZ/QQ

Build it and they will come .. as someone once said.

-Daniel