[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Jan 21 15:47:00 EST 2010

On 21/01/2010, at 2:21 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

Which particular ones / equipment? Networking gear (i.e. routers mainly)
generally supports it and has done so for quite a while, as have most
end-user OSes.

Support at some level.   There's a lot of fairly strange holes.

But productionising it is harder.   It's very easy to find holes in "support" as well as bugs.  Too easy.

eg.  On any Cisco platform try finding the status of an IPv6 BGP neighbor via SNMP.

If you're talking about things like load balancers, I don't necessarily
think that needs to be a show stopper. The early volumes of IPv6 traffic
is going to be no where near that of IPv4, so I doubt the initial load
is going to be significant enough that solutions like load balancers
are required. I'd think deploying an IPv6 to IPv4 reverse proxy would be
a fairly simple, quick and fairly way to get content available over
IPv6.

Sure - but ultimately you then have hacks which are messy.  Really proper support is key otherwise you can't produce the systems that are as reliable as IPv4.   LB are often about reliability and failover rather than performance.

MMC

- mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au>
(W)

Regards,
Nick Brown

Inticon Pty Ltd
http://www.inticon.com.au

Phone:     02 40010546
Direct:       02 40010511

Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs
Internode /Agile
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au<mailto:mmc at internode.com.au>    Web: http://www.on.net<http://www.on.net/>
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909      Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909