[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Thu Jan 21 08:57:15 EST 2010

On Tuesday (about the time we dropped below "10%"), the number of available addresses reported by NetCore jumped from 360M to 402M (see http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/).  I can't believe that 40M addresses have suddenly been recovered, so I suspect a bug somewhere.  Bit suspicious that the increase from 360 to 400 is in the same ratio as 9% to 10% but is an increase instead of a decrease.

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Tim Warnock wrote:
> Scarier will be when people start trading IPv4.

Trading has been happening for some time, but was not officially recognised.  Most of the RIRs are changing their policies to make this easy to do as mentioned by Elly Tawhai on this list on Monday.

--
John Gibbins
Acting Team Leader | IT Security Operations

PLEASE NOTE