[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Jan 20 18:16:54 EST 2010

Not that I disagree with what they are trying to achieve here, but the math
here is a bit iffy, depending on what you consider as "available".

Personally I'd consider the "available" address to be 1/8 through 223/8,
probably excluding 127/8, and possibly even excluding the various RFC1918
blocks.

At most that gives 223 /8's, probably closer to 221.

Based on
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtml,
there are a total of 24 /8's still unallocated by IANA.  Even then it's a
matter of who's perspective you look at - 1/8 and 27/8 are "allocated" from
IANA's perspective, but I'm presuming they are completely unallocated from
APNIC's perspective.

So IMHO we're not down to 10% yet, but of course to a certain extent the
difference between 10% and even 15% isn't that significant...

  Scott.