[AusNOG] [Fwd: [bogon-announce] IANA IPv4 allocations and bogon update 1/8 and 27/8]

Terry manderson terry at terrym.net
Wed Jan 20 13:39:26 EST 2010

On 20/01/2010, at 11:06 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>
>> From what I heard one, 1.0.0.0/8 is a de facto standard for transitioning routers between large companies in the context of joining networks after a merger, or other forms of inter-company peering.
>
> I've never hear of or run into this anywhere in the world, FWIW.  Unallocated netblocks should never be used for such purposes due to the disruption caused when they're finally allocated, as is this case in this instance.

I've never heard of this being a de facto standard, but due to the overuse of certain reserved addresses in documentation - I've read far too much cisco documentation and cisco tutorials that use 1/8, 2/8, and 3/8 as teaching fodder  (and i'm sure cisco are not alone) so I could assume that many engineers/architects simply mimic the cisco teachings to merge networks. (probably not a recommended action)

In terms of actual use I have seen a couple corporates use 1/8 to augment their RFC1918 use to simply make delineation between classes of client nodes. Right/wrong is now a beer discussion - I'd be looking to the poor souls who want a significant internet presence and have been allocated something in 1/8.

...fun :(

Cheers
Terry