[AusNOG] Experiences with web load balancers

Robert Loomans robertl at apnic.net
Fri Jan 15 14:29:04 EST 2010

(Disclaimer: My direct experience with load balancers is now a few years old now...)

On 15/01/2010, at 12:56, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> The Arrowpoint acquisition - the Arrowpoint-based devices were horrible junk, totally unusable in any kind of real production environment - were the second generation.

Seconded. At a prior job, we found many configurations either didn't work, or caused hard lockups, and failover and failback was very unreliable. Also, performance wasn't great.

At that same job, the Foundry ServerIron gear we had was really good: reliable and predictable, failure modes under overload were sane, and good support.

Here at APNIC, we use Radware boxes, and they seem to work... I understand that the IPv6 support in the recent firmware is starting to become usable. (I'm not involved in running these boxes, so I have no real idea how they compare.)

Cheers,
    Rob

--
Robert Loomans                                 Email:  robertl at apnic.net
Senior Software Engineer, APNIC                Phone:    +61 7 3858 3100