[AusNOG] Experiences with web load balancers

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 15 10:54:56 EST 2010

On 15/01/2010, at 9:42 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I'm hoping to get some feedback on good and bad experiences with different vendors. Not to seem rude, but having sent emails to the list for advice before, I feel the need to clarify that I'm not looking for quotes or sales information; this is just an technical query for technical people.

Unless you want to reinvent the wheel in a year or two, make sure that
solid IPv6 support is part of your statement of requirements when you're
looking for vendors.

The ACEs are very capable devices, but they're completely lost at sea
with respect to IPv6 (they don't currently support it at all, and its position
on their roadmap is way too late)

As network operators, even if  you're not currently running IPv6 right now,
we're well past the point when it needs to be a core, non-negotiable
requirement for new acquisitions.  Not "IPv6-ready", but actually "IPv6-working,
demonstrated before your very eyes."  Otherwise any money you spend on
this now you'll just have to spend again in 2011 or 2012.

(a cynic would suggest that offering a product now which doesn't support
v6, knowing full well that your locked-in customer will need to re-buy their
solution in two years time, might look like a sales strategy...)

Just sayin'.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)