[AusNOG] [pacnog] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:53:42 EST 2010

Skeeve,

Sorry about the cross-posting but I will only do this once.
(Maybe it's time for a worldnog list.)

On 2010-02-27 15:59, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> As usual Mark, your contributions are unbiased and well thought out.

If that's the statement you're reacting to, I think this comment
is in fact objective and well thought out, even if expressed
flippantly. It is *exactly* because ITU policy is derived from
the obsolete model of national monopolists and geographically
based network topology that this particular idea has been
floating around inside the ITU since about 2005 to my personal
knowledge, and probably longer. I spent quite some time while
IETF Chair trying to explain to senior people at ITU why it was
a pointless and unnecessary mechanism, but without success.

>From what I have seen during the recent survey of ISPs, there
is manifestly no need for any major change in IPv6 allocation
mechanisms. The RIRs are clearly doing an excellent job of
allocating adequate prefixes to those who need them.

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-carpenter-v6ops-isp-scenarios

     Brian