[AusNOG] Experiences with web load balancers

Shaun Ewing s.ewing at aussiehq.com.au
Mon Feb 22 16:00:49 EST 2010

On 22/02/10 3:20 PM, "Simon Horman" <horms at verge.net.au> wrote:

> BTW, I have never understood why anyone would want to use SSL offloading,
> surely its better to push must surely be the most CPU intensive part
> of a connection as far out to the edge as possible. Is the issue
> that its cheaper to by certificates that way? Not baiting, genuinely curious.

We're using SSL offloading in our load balancers in scenarios where we need
to sit an IDS/IPS in between the load balancer and the individual servers.

Where that's not required, it's almost always SSL termination on the server
itself.

I'm sure there might be other scenarios, but that's one that immediately
comes to mind.

-Shaun

--
Shaun Ewing
Chief Technology Officer

Direct: +61 2 6163 9302
Fax:    +61 2 6176 2002
Mobile: +61 422 804 537 [AU]
Mobile: +1 775 393 9464 [US]

s.ewing at aussiehq.com.au | www.aussiehq.com.au
Level 2, 92 Northbourne Avenue, Braddon ACT 2612 Australia